We are excited to be able to offer one week of camp this summer! Camp will be limited to 48 campers per session in order to ensure proper social distancing protocols.
Register today and help your young player improve their skills!
Held at the Strongsville Recreation Center. Camp Registration Fee is $95.
- Session 1 July 6-10, 2020: 1:30 – 4:30 PM (BOYS & GIRLS entering Grades 2 – 7 in the fall)
First and foremost, we hope that you and your loved ones are safe and healthy. We know this pandemic has been stressful to many and recognize that socializing and interacting with peers can be a healthy way for children to cope with stress and connect with others, particularly after spending quite a bit of time at home. After careful thought and planning, we are excited to let you know that we plan to resume Head Start Basketball Camp while following CDC considerations to protect campers, families, and our community.
The health and safety of our campers and staff remain our highest priority. Below, you will find a summary of actions we are taking to help ensure we are lowering COVID-19 risk as much as possible. We are:
- Cooperating with The Strongsville Recreation Center as they have intensified cleaning and disinfection practices within their facilities and will continue to do so throughout our camp week.
- Asking parents to drop-off/pick-up their child at the designated start and ending time for camp. Parents will remain outside of the gym at all times. All players and parents will have their temperature checked at the front desk of the Recreation Center and then proceed to the camp registration table located outside of the gym doors. From there they will report to their assigned basket with the help of a member of the camp coaching staff.
- During drop-off on the first day you will be assigned a designated door from which your child will exit the Rec Center at the end of the day. That door is where you will meet your child at 4:30 each day.
- Keeping campers in small groups of 6 or less and spacing them out during individual skill development sessions. Campers will play 3 on 3 games against other players attending the camp.
- Limiting the number of items that are shared or touched between campers and staff. All campers will be required to bring their own basketball and water. No water will be available at the Rec Center.
- Promoting healthy hygiene practices by having campers wash their hands before entering the gym each day and using hand sanitizer as necessary throughout the camp day.
- Having camp staff wear a cloth face covering as feasible and in times when physical distancing is difficult.
- If a child does get sick at camp, we have identified an area where they can rest, be watched after, and safely isolate from others until we are able to communicate with parents or caretakers directly.
We ask that you help us protect the health of campers this summer. Anyone who is sick or was sick with COVID-19 or recently in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days— including staff, campers, and families— should not come to camp. Be on the lookout for symptoms of COVID-19, which include fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, and loss of taste or smell. Call your doctor if you think you or a family member is sick.
If you have a specific question about this plan or COVID-19, please contact Mike Klinzing at 216-392-4059 for more information. You can also find more information about COVID-19 at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus or on CDC’s website for youth and summer camps (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/summer-camps.html).
We look forward to seeing you.
Thank you and stay healthy,
HEAD START BASKETBALL CAMPS emphasize the fundamentals of basketball with individual attention given to each young player. The campers will be taught the basic techniques of shooting, dribbling, passing, rebounding, and defense. The camp will not only provide a fundamental base for each young player, but will also be a fun and enjoyable experience for every camper.
Our coaches work with the young players on developing their individual basketball skills. We want to make the most of every day and we do that with enthusiasm and a positive attitude. Learning is FUN!
Here are just a few things you will learn out on the court
- Ball handling drills that you can work on at home to become more confident with the ball
- Proper shooting technique
- Passing and catching skills
- How to box out your opponent and grab a rebound
- Defensive stance and movements
- How to be a good teammate
- Basic 3 on 3 basketball strategy
We teach our campers to play team basketball. We want everyone to play hard, play smart, and have outstanding sportsmanship.
Campers have a chance to earn various awards such as Most Improved Camper, Sportsmanship Award, Hustle Award, Camp MVP, Team Awards, and more!
Each young player who participates in camp receives an official HEAD START BASKETBALL CAMP T-shirt.
Remember! The game is more fun when you can play it well and play it the right way.
For additional information, call (216) 392-4059.